Monday, November 7, 2011

Types of sentences (syntax)?

The first sentence "I took it up, and held it in my hand", is a complex sentence because "I took it up" is an independent clause; "and held it in my hand" is a dependent clause. "I was a-trembling, because I'd got to decide, forever, betwixt two things, and I knowed it." This sentence among the low diction is a compound-complex sentence, because it contains three independent clauses and one dependent clause. The dependent clause is "betwixt two things"; betwixt being a preposition. The last sentence, "I studied a minute, sort of holding my breath, and then says to myself: 'All right, then, I'll go to hell' - and tore it up." is another compound-complex sentence. The dependent clause would be "sort of holding my breath".

No comments:

Post a Comment